Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2007 17:13:04 +0200
From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
 From the feeding part of the Evenflo site: "Breastfeeding is the most
natural and healthy way to feed your baby. To help and encourage mom
to breastfeed as long as possible and also for those women who don't
breastfeed or breastfeed exclusively, Evenflo also makes available
bottles, nipples, milk storage bottles, and bottle accessories. These
products are available at all major mass retailers and food and drug
stores."

How do bottles, nipples and bottle accessories 'help and encourage mom
to breastfeed as long as possible'?  What am I not getting, here?

Under 'product spotlight' there is a picture of something called 'the
complete breastfeeding system' consisting of what appears to be a
double pump and several different carrying cases, hard to tell because
photo is small.  No breasts, and no babies, though.  Again, what am I
not getting?

I clicked on 'Exciting breastfeeding news' and was taken to a part of
the site where I found FAQs about compliance with the WHO code.  There
were just three questions there, and it was not clear from the answers
that it is *the failure or lack of breastfeeding* resulting from
unethical marketing practices which threaten the health of children.

I don't know what this site looked like before because I have never
visited it, but I wasn't bowled over by its portrayal of breastfeeding
as normal.  The children I saw on my random clickings around the site
were mainly depicted alone, independent of anyone, and drinking from
containers, not from a breast. Even in the 16 page downloadable PDF
titled 'Breastfeeding guide', intended for childbirth educators to use
as handouts, there were 5 pages of products, two photos of children
drinking from bottles, one of a baby ostensibly breastfeeding, and a
lot of babies just by themselves or being held.  The baby in a suit,
with briefcase and that bent bottle was, well, BENT.

They need to do a whole lot more with the information and the
illustrations before this is anything other than the usual
'Breastfeeding is best, BUT...' sales line.

Rachel Myr
still grumpy in Kristiansand, Norway