From:
Kerry Ose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2007 05:02:46 -0500
The situation Morgan describes in Essex is similar to one I encountered in my part of the
UK last year.  Out of respect for privacy, I won’t go into the details.  I will say that in this
situation, there was no villainy or outright incompetence.  All involved did their jobs
admirably.  Breastfeeding and breastmilk feeding continued throughout the ordeal, thanks
to dedicated parents, foster carers, and social workers.  When the baby was returned
home, normal, direct breastfeeding immediately resumed.

That doesn’t mean the situation wasn’t horribly unjust.  Unless there is overwhelming,
compelling evidence that being in the presence of her mother is dangerous to a baby,
breastfeeding dyads should not be separated.  In the situation here, it seemed to me that
this mother and baby could have been placed somewhere where they had 24-hour
supervision.  I’m sure that if I asked the social workers why they didn’t offer that, they
would say that they don’t have the resources to properly supervise a dyad like that
around the clock.  I can appreciate that it would be expensive and logistically difficult, but
if the whole point of Child Protective Services is to protect children, these agencies need
to understand that one of the least protective and most risky things they can do to an
exclusively breastfed baby is separate him from his mother.

Really, this is an issue that extends well beyond isolated cases in the UK or any other
country, and it seems ripe for our advocacy.  Those agencies and professionals tasked
with protecting babies who may be in danger in the home need to be educated.  They
need to understand what a breastfeeding dyad is, and how central a baby’s role in that
dyad is to her identity and well-being.

I wonder if it would be possible to develop educational materials, even a curriculum that
IBCLCs and other qualified people could offer as continuing education for social workers?

Kerry Ose