Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2008 11:52:27 -0500
From:
Cherie Price <[log in to unmask]>
Friends,

I thought you would be sympathetic to a situation I found myself in
yesterday.  All of the Birthing Center staff at our hospital were told we
must attend a mandatory in-service on Infant Safety and Security, held at
various times throughout yesterday and today.  I went expecting an
in-service conducted by our manager and perhaps folks from security, but
became very uneasy when I noticed that the Mead-Johnson rep arrived shortly
after I did.  I noticed the Mead-Johnson flyers on the table, advertising an
educational session next month.  Once a number of staff had assembled, a
"Clin II" (a RN in a supervisory position) told us about beefed up safety
precautions in light of an attempted infant abduction at a another hospital
a number of months ago, and this new "Professional Learning Series" with DVD
presented so "generously" by Mead-Johnson.  We could take a post-test and
receive 2 CEUs!  (I didn't!)  The rep introduced the DVD and stayed in the
room as a valued member of the team (arrgghh).  The DVD clearly stated, as
does the learning packet, that "The Planning Committee members and faculty
do not have a conflict of interest."  Don't have a conflict of interest with
what?  That they allow a *formula company* to provide training on infant
security?!!  What makes them experts at infant security???  Why do I want to
learn about infant security from them??  Why would the hospital team with
them to educate their staff?!?

I fumed the entire time but didn't know what else to do as I had been told
this was mandatory!  I had no inkling that this was sponsored by anyone
other than our own hospital system or unit!  Another LC had discovered the
sponsorship earlier and had tried to warn me but I was working elsewhere.
She spoke to the Clin II about it who advised her to "overlook the
sponsorship" for the education.

Just a warning that those formula company dollars continue to look for new
and devious ways to plaster their name all over the health care scene.
Disgusting!  And any thoughts as to what to do about it after the fact?

Cherie Price, PA, IBCLC, LCCE, CD(DONA), LLLL, MOM of 4