From:
Wendy Blumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2007 13:36:58 +0200
.As stated,  it is so difficult to prepare for an experience without
exposure to it.  As a childbirth educator, I introduce breastfeeding into
discussions on every aspect of pregnancy and birth and postpartum - from how
mother`s milk changes even during pregnancy to suit her baby at whatever
stage he is born, e.g. premature/full-term to the full session on
breastfeeding near the end of the course.
But the most moving and significant preparation that a recent group of mine
received was when one of the couples wanted to visit the group after having
a premature baby.  At 36 weeks, the baby was a good weight and well
developed so he was out of hospital within a week, just in time for the
breastfeeding session of that group.  I had spent time with the couple
meanwhile and they were very motivated to breastfeed.  But they didn`t want
to miss some of the theoretical stuff we would be discussing - and the film.
Well, of course the focus of the evening was on this wonderful couple and
their baby - we didn`t even bother with the film!
During the class, the baby spent most of the time skin-to-skin and every so
often had a little snack.  The others in the group were awe-struck and this
was definitely the most effective way of preparing them.
I have in the past sometimes invited a couple from a previous course to come
back and discuss breastfeeding with the prenatal group, but this was
particularly significant because the group knew these parents and they could
relate more realistically to them.
I would not like, however, to see a premature birth in every group just in
order to have this experience!! It just worked out that way.
Wendy Blumfield
Israel Childbirth Education Centre
NCT ANT Tutor /BFC