From:
Morgan Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2007 10:19:43 +0100
That part is pretty hard to do - especially in relation to students!
:-)  The mothering stuff is one of those bits of life that you usually
need to experience, to understand. All mothers say they have a bond with
their kids, and all mothers do... but the breastfeeding bond is of such
a magnitude of difference, that it's like explaining snow to a desert
people: just not enough references in common.

I've written on the bond often, and got good responses - from those who
already understand it.  Those who don't already understand it, have
suggested I'm soft in the head. ;-)  Or deluded.  To those outside this
frame of reference, inside the frame of reference, can look utterly
nuts.  Especially as not every breastfeeding mother feels it - it can
take time to establish, and many wean before they get there.  It can
smack of zeal to some.

In my experience, there are two groups of people who can convey the
difference to those outside the frame of reference with authority -
mothers who have fed their children both ways, and the children
themselves (as adults or as children).  Mothers who have fed their older
children via formua, and then established successfull breastfeeding
bonds, speak most movingly of the difference, and their own feelings for
the difference. And children who remember, say wonderful wonderful
things of that 'sacred' moment.  :-)

I've found these useful, in context, to 'open' the territory:

http://www.wiessinger.baka.com/bfing/older/mouths.html

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/190/story_19083_1.html

http://www.theologyofthebody.com/03-16-07.asp

Morgan Gallagher