From:
Mary Herrington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Sep 2007 23:55:53 -0400
Alice,
I have been working to get my son toward exclusive breastfeeding for many
moons now.  A wonderful resource that was recommended to me along the
way was lowmilksupply.org and here is where I found great "to-the-point" info
on supplementation, bottles, nipples etc.  The "finish at the breast" method is
one I've been using and that combined with nightly skin to skin and self-
attaching during my son's sleep has been my greastest successes.  Here is
the link for the finish at the breast method:
http://www.lowmilksupply.org/finishatthebreast.shtml

I know you said the mom does frequent skin to skin.  For me, taking my son
when he was already deep asleep at night, laying him on my chest while I
reclined and I slept propped up on pillows allowed us many, many hours of skin
to skin at night and he would ALWAYS self attach during this time.

There was a significant period of time where my son was refusing my breast
with screaming.  He now will latch and suckle happily many times a day.
Please tell your mother there is always hope with time and patience and
congratulate her on providing mother's milk for her dear one for all this time.

Mary Herrington,RN, IBCLC
Memorial Hermann Lactation Services
The Woodlands, Texas