From:
Theresa Hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2007 11:55:50 -0400
Good Morning Listmates,

I rarely post , but regularly read Lactnet. I'm hoping for some input regarding a
3 week pospartum mom I'm working with. Her infant is fully breastfed and
thriving. Unfortunately, I noted a large (hard to miss at 3 X3 cm) breast mass
at the newborn visit. Mom, who is an immigrant but with only a mild language
barrier,then noted that the lump had been slowly growing over a 2 year
period.I spoke with her OB and ordered a breast ultrasound followed by a
consult with a breast surgeon. The ultrasound does not look good. The mass
is solid and well supplied with blood.

I'm expecting a call from the breast surgeon asking for help with emergency
weaning so that the biopsy can be done. I would like to be able to present a
plan for unilateral weaning, so that mom can continue breastfeeding on the
unaffected side, while the affected side heals. I hope the surgeon will use a
radial incision, but again, this is a large mass. Does anyone have any
insight/experience with this? I would appreciate your valuable input.

Theresa Hardy, CPNP, IBCLC