Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2007 20:44:37 EDT

Morgan said::

<<Soy formula is considered to be more allergenic than cow's milk
formula.  It really shouldn't be the 'first port of call'.  I  understand
the mother's upset, but she needs to know that soy formula is  not a
'safer' version than cow's milk formula (if this is the reasoning  behind
her choice).>>
**********

Morgan, I've not heard that.  I have heard that if a baby  is allergic to
bovine protein, there is a 25% (or more -- pick your number)  chance they are
ALSO allergic to soy, but I have not heard that it is MORE  allergenic.  I'd love
to read any research you have on that.  Can you  share it please?  Most of
the practitioners around here go from cow's milk  formula to soy to Alimentum or
Nutramigen.

For what it is worth, goat's milk is almost identical to cow's  milk in terms
of a heavy electrolyte, mineral, and protein load.

 Jan  Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC
_Lactation Education  Consultants_
(http://www.lactationeducationconsultants.com/)