From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2007 07:49:00 EDT

In a message dated 9/23/2007 12:01:17 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

However, if overweight/obese women have longer breastfeeding episodes, this
can increase the chances of prolonged lactation.I also found some nursing
interventions helpful for those who face this possible
dilemma:
Getting your patient set up with a lactation consultant before discharge=
so as to be sure that they have advice on the breastfeeding techniques suited
for their tailored probrlems.
-Also offer information about support and counseling services for
breastfeeding. This can help the obese/overweight mom to continue to breastfeed.
Dear Friends:
    Another lovely  nursing student posts an important question.
    None of the lactation support that is offered to women in hospitals
matters a tinker's dam if people in white coats are also giving her samples of
formula in the fancy microfiber diaper bag, and/or if her baby is given formula
supplements in the hospital.
    The last round of figures from the Centers for Disease Control in the US,
show that exclusive breastfeeding rates have dropped. Formula marketing
strategies work.
    As nearly every pregnant woman has newborn milk in her breasts, her baby
that needs to be supplemented can be given some of that milk (either by
breastfeeding or by 15 minutes of s2s, then hand expressing) as often as needed. Or
given banked donor milk that is kept on hand in the hospital, just as frozen
donor blood is kept on hand for emergencies.
    We can not fault women for choosing to bottle feed if we (we as in
hospital staff) are modeling the behaviour and giving the stuff away.
    warmly,

Nikki Lee RN, MS, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CCE, CIMI
_http://www.breastfeedingalwaysbest.com/_
(http://www.breastfeedingalwaysbest.com/)
www.myspace/AdonicaLee