From:
Kay McKee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2007 14:42:53 -0700
Hi!  I wonder about foremilk and hindmilk (see my other post to Lactnet today) for this baby.  I also wonder about positioning.  A few years ago I read an "expert's" article in a respected parenting magazine, I think it was called "It Could Be GERD" in which the writer proposed that (paraphrasing) that because babies spend so much of their time lying down, it is NORMAL to expect them to have more reflux.
EXCUSE ME, babies aren't designed to spend their time lying down.  (or in carseats/carriers all day).  They are designed to be HELD, typically upright.  In between mom (or someone elses) breasts in the early days, then over the shoulder, then on the hip, etc., etc., until they are upright on their own!  DUUH!

I have used the pop-'em-off, soak-it-up, bring-'em-back-on technique myself probably hundreds of times over the course of nursing my three boys 2 1/2 yrs each.  It works fine.  They're now grown, so this was before I knew anything about MER other than that it drowned them.  It's the lowest energy demand of the things I might suggest for this, and although the baby might be mad for a moment, mine always went right back on and were fine after that.  It only takes a moment or two.  I think it also increased the hindmilk proportion of the feed, also resulting in less gas.  I'd rather have a baby perturbed for a minute or two than screaming all night.
Best wishes to you and the mom you're helping...
Kay McKee, IBCLC

--
Kay McKee