From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2007 23:50:28 -0500
Hi Theresa
I don't think she has to wean for the biopsy. If she can nurse, or express,
immediately before (or as close as possible). there may be some leaking
post-biopsy, and pain, and she may have to express. If she chooses to wean,
that's another story, and should be supported. If the biopsy reveals a need
for some surgery, that's another story too.
I don't think she can do a complete weaning at this point, with an
exclusively and thriving bf baby. If the biopsy is in a day, it will be
hard. She cannot take anti-galactagogues like sage or other becoz that would
dry up the other side too. So the best bet is probably cold cabbage leaves
continuously or just cold packs and express minimally to avoid engorgement.
I think this will be more problematic than continuing the milk supply on
that side pending results to see what exactly will need to be done.
Hope this helps somewhat.
Laurie Wheeler, RN, MN, IBCLC
MISSISSIPPI USA