From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Aug 2007 09:28:50 -0500
Karyn
The IV fluid - inflated b.wt connection has not been firmly established. In
fact, I believe there was a study where the connection was not found. LCs do
anecdotally report and believe in the connection. I don't. The wt loss is
connected to low intake, IMO. Your case seems to have a poor latch component
and a delayed feeding and delayed lactogenesis component.
Therefore, I would assess the latch and fix as able, assess the tongue -
look at tongue extension, elevation, and ability to move side to side. Check
posts by Catherine Watson Genna from lactnet archives. I beleive she states
the tongue elevation is really important to assess. Fix as indicated. Then
assess mom's supply at present. Reverse pressure softening can really help
with edema, nipple protractility, and letdown. If supplementation is needed,
I would recommend a nursing supply line if baby latches and suckles
adequately. And of course all the strategies to increase mom's supply if
needed.
Laurie Wheeler, RN, MN, IBCLC
MISSISSIPPI USA