From:
geraldine cahill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Oct 2007 10:58:08 +0100
Phone call this morning from one our breastfeeding counsellors, has been
pumping for 3 1/2 month old and nursing a toddler.  There were issue with
baby - not sure exactly what they were - baby goes to breast for comfort but
does not transfer any milk.  She rang as there was sudden drop in supply
yesterday...she managed to get the same volume but had to pump almost twice
as much - she stated she pumped at each session for twice as long as she
normally would to get same amounts..  She has had supply dips before but
they have never gone into the following day.  She has had a huge supply up
until now (has been donating lots to the Milk Bank) so is not concerned in
the short term but concerned that it might continue to go down.  Last nights
pumping session yielded 100 ml when she normally gets 200 ml.  This mornings
pumping only yielded 90 ml.

Have had a look at the archives and can't see anything that would directly
relate to this problem.  We have talked about the use of Galactagogues and
she is very willing but she is anxious that we try to find the underlying
problem.

Is this hormonal, would she be pre-menstrual.  Any ideas?  We're a bit
stumped.

Regards
Geraldine Cahill
IBCLC (Hooray)