Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2007 09:03:24 -0500
7bit
From:
Sam Doak <[log in to unmask]>
<< I'm sorry, but in the average US hospital the biggest pushers of formula
are nurses :-(  Perhaps if there were strong hospital policies VS formula
(ala Baby Friendly) this wouldn't be so common. Pat in SNJ>>

You are absolutely correct, Pat. And if I can go a step further without
stepping on too many toes.....

The nurses who are big on handing out formula are frequently mothers who
have had a "bad experience" with breastfeeding, or breastfeeding "didn't
work out for them." They see nothing wrong with formula, after all they fed
this to their babies, and their children are fine.

Add this to their feeling that nurses who support breastfeeding are
fanatics, and "they made me feel guilty when I couldn't breastfeed."

When you go through nursing school, the instructor is typically a woman, and
she has either had a good or a bad experience with breastfeeding.
Unfortunately, in our society, it's usually a bad experience, and she shares
this with her students, who then reflect the instructor's bad experience.
Can't tell you how many times I had to challenge the instructor's comments
during my Maternal/Child Nursing class, because she was so negative, "You
can't take this drug, you can't eat this, you can't do that...when you're
breastfeeding..." Most nursing classes don't have an IBCLC in the classroom!

Ok, back to the hot and sweaty day!

Best wishes,
Heather "Sam" Doak
Who is unusually charged up about this issue today...