From:
Leslie Cree <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Oct 2007 17:21:28 -0400
As part of our homeschool unit on nutrition and food science, I had my
daughter research the mypyramid.com website. We compared it to other
sources' diet recommendations for the populations important to our family;
children, teens, and pregnant or lactating moms. The discussion eventually
zereod in on the influence of lobbyists and corporations on what is
recommended for a healthy diet in the US. My kids both decided they'd rather
take what they knew about macro and micro nutrients from our lessons and
pick their foods based on necessity rather than who trumpeted the loudest.
The lessons did not take a huge amount of time, and if an 11 year old and an
8 year old can "get it", I have great hopes of being able to point pregnant and
nursing moms in the right direction without them having to negotiate confusing
graphics and unreliable or unrealistic recommendations. I didn't mean this to
sound like a rant against the Pyramid, but I think we all agree that it is
confusing to navigate.
Kindly,
Leslie