Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2007 07:03:50 EDT

In a message dated 10/11/2007 7:59:03 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Jacqui,

I also want to reitterate that I  suggested (along with several others)
that you try pumping for 24 hours, so  that you can visibly see that your
baby is taking 1 1/2 to 2 oz.  8xday.  As far as I know, you havent done this
yet.  You mention  that the baby appears satiated, full, content........but
as others have  also mentioned, many babies fool us by acting this way.  We
have all  seen babies who are content to starve.  At this point, you  should
consider either renting a scale, so that you can do pre and post  weight
checks for the feedings,

i took the advice about the frequency of pumping and applied it to
breastfeeding. i am certain there is no problem w/ getting the milk into him.  finding
the time to sit down and pump  - even for 24 hrs - in b/t all the  demands of
my 4 other children would be creating problems and stress where  currently
there are none. i've never gotten much from pumping to begin with, i'd  have to
rent a hospital grade pump. if i seriously thought for a minute i might  have a
supply/latch/ transfer issue, i would send hubby to do it but i know that
isn't the problem here. he goes back to work in a cpl days and the last thing i
need is to be tied to a pump and going through the emotional roller coaster
of  stressing over every drop i can squeeze into a bottle while i'm hooked up
to a  pump and then getting it into the baby before it cooled, while he cries
as  i'm pumping... i nursed him in the sling while i made dinner tonight and
carried him attached to the breast in football hold while i helped my 22 month
old w/ her potty training and sat and nursed him on the edge of the tub while
my  3 yo took a bath... i can't even imagine the luxury of being able to sit
down  undisturbed as many times a day as it would take to pump!  if i had even
an  inkling the problem is he's somehow not getting enough while on the
breast, i'd  find a way, but i know this isn't the problem.

for the 1st few days, i think he perfectly fit the 'happy to starve'
scenario. since vigorously waking him and nursing much more frequently, he no  longer
does. he is not happy to even wait 3 minutes to nurse while i wash my  hands
after changing his diaper now. he wails enthusiastically as soon as i wake
him, he roots and suckles at any part of me when i hold him, he wants to nurse
constantly. he has been cluster feeding and staying on the breast for up to an
 hour at a time.

yesterday he had his largest stool so far and it was about 1/4 seedy  yellow.
i was thrilled. i'd begun taking probiotics and i drink about 2 gals of
water a day while i'm nursing 3, so i am hoping these things are helping to  flush
the dairy more quickly and helping his gut to heal. tonight his stools are
completely yellow and seedy but very small again - like an american quarter or
smaller and not as frequent. i also put a preemie outfit on him that fit
rather well a few days ago but now seems bigger on him. these things have me
very upset and worried again. after reading rachel's post about how she would be
handling this were i her client, i am also afraid my ped isn't as concerned
as  she maybe should be. my husband thinks i am just becoming overly
emotional/hormonal b/c he goes back to work in a cpl days...he thinks the baby's  poops
changing is a great sign, thinks he is acting completely more awake,
energetic and demanding.

i contacted my supervisor in the hospital i volunteer for  to set  up a
meeting w/ our LC. she told me that she can't really facilitate that b/c i
homebirthed and it would be a conflict! i don't know of any other, independent  LC's
not working from the hospitals here, i'm not quite sure how to go about
finding one, if insurance will cover this and how much it will cost if not. but
tmrw's goal is to find one. and if i can't, i am going back to the ped for
another weigh, i can't wait the week she wants to...i am also going to look into
renting the scale, that's a great suggestion i think i can do even w/ 5 kids
aged 7 and under!

it occurs to me that there used to be an LC here on Lactnet not too far  from
me, i think her 1st name was something like mary kay... if anyone has any
contact info for her, i would love to see if consulting her might be an  option!

~jacqui gruttadauria, bsw
feeling more like the moms i help than the one that helps them these  days!!