From:
Alison Jacobson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Oct 2007 10:53:16 -0400
I have a suggestion for the lady with recurrent mastitis that I haven't seen
in any book on breastfeeding, including Jack Newman's books and LLL
resources.  Consider have an osteopathic physician do a breast manipulation
to help unplug the ducts.

My husband is a DO medical student (Touro University College of Osteopathic
Medicine), and when we had our first daughter, I had an awful case of
blocked ducts/mastitis.  Upon visiting his med school, I happened to mention
to one of of the female DO's that  I was really suffering.  She got me up on
the table and proceeded to do a breast manipulation.  It took about 3
minutes at most.  I was shocked - my problem cleared up almost immediately.
No need for antibiotics and their attendant risks.

That said, if you can find a DO who is very experienced in manipulations on
the female body, particularly the lactating woman, is it one more option for
treatment.  My husband learned the technique from her and has treated me
since.  He has also talked a woman through it on the phone via a long
distance phone call.  I also like this treatment because it's empowering -
that is, the lady herself can learn to manipulate her own breast and doesn't
necessarily need to run off to the doctor (or even the LC! :) ) to gain
relief.

For those who would like more information, feel free to contact me via
e-mail.  [log in to unmask]

All the best,
Alison Jacobson

--
"We're only on earth for a little while so live life to the fullest and
carry a smile."