From:
"Julia R. Barrett" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2007 09:28:01 -0500
Judy Ritchie asked:
>Wonder if they will track children as breastfed vs formula fed?

Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]> replied:
>Well I owuld hope so. And I would also hope that if they do so that they ask
>appropriate questions in order to get meaningful answers. Who has the
>contacts to follow through with ensuring that this is the case?

The National Children's Study
<http://www.nationalchildrensstudy.gov/> has been in development
since 2000. At this point, they've completed pilot studies and
they're finalizing protocols, so I don't know if they're planning to
add any further hypotheses. Breastfeeding, however, is included in
the study design. I know they're looking at things such as
breastfeeding and formula-feeding in light of obesity, insulin
resistance, diabetes, and so forth; a quick skim of the site shows
that neurodevelopment, asthma, and respiratory illness will also be
considered against the backdrop of formula-feeding and breastfeeding.

A search of the National Children's Study website turns up three
pages' worth of hits for the term "breastfeeding" and four pages for
"breast milk." I didn't read these in depth since I'm on deadline for
something completely different at the moment. However, I'm glad to
hear that the National Children's Study is back on track---things
looked very grim last year.

regards,
Julia

Julia R. Barrett
Science Writer & Editor in the Life Sciences
Madison, Wisconsin