From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2007 19:25:20 -0700
For the last 4.5 months I've been in touch with a fantastic mom whose baby
at first lost a LOT of weight (25%) and who was able to overcome this
despite having a baby that refused to latch - she is producing so much milk
that her freezer is so full her husband says they can no longer go shopping.
Mom works full-time and can pump 6 - 8 ounces at one sitting with no
problem.

At first, we tried all the usual skin to skin, gentling the baby to the
breast, etc. etc. etc....  Having seen the videos by Dr. Christina M.
Smillie, we also tried with baby wearing some clothing...etc.  Finally we
tried using the "nursing strike" suggestions in the Breastfeeding Answer
Book.

Still no luck.

As baby has never been effectively to the breast, the low-flow earlier and
the high-flow nipple now are not the issue - she just refuses to go there at
ALL!

Today she called me to ask: "My baby has NEVER seen a baby at the breast -
do you think it would help to get some videos?"

OF COURSE - it makes sense that by now her baby, going to a day care center,
is used to seeing babies all around that take bottles.  She has never seen a
baby at the breast...

Sooo - we're arranging for her to borrow some videos and I've given her the
dates and times of local breastfeeding support groups (which, unfortunately,
only meet in the daytime when mom is at work).

BUT does this not make sense to you, too?  At this age baby is now imitating
a LOT of things...why not breastfeeding...

I'll let you know what happens next!...and if you have any
suggestions...feel free to share them!

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
California, USA