From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2007 00:03:38 +0200
Lactnet is not an advertising venue.  It's an open discussion list and
eminent networking forum, subscription is free, it is mothered by volunteers
who all have day jobs to put food on the table, and it is hosted by L-soft
at no charge to you or to us.

If someone requests info on a product, be it a pump, a scale, containers for
storing milk, tape measures, books, DVDs OR courses to earn CERPs for IBLCE,
feel free to respond to them *privately* with whatever info you have on that
product.  Sometimes posters stipulate that the response should be sent
privately, but if they forget, it doesn't mean it's OK to ignore the list
guidelines.

The furrows of our frowning brows are particularly deep if your own
livelihood is based on sales of said product and you respond to the list.
You have just gotten free advertising space on a respected, credible
electronic medium that reaches 3500 members of your potential target group,
and we would have preferred you consult us to hear whether your particular
product was one that we would have given the go-ahead for such privilege.

In short: asking other subscribers for product info to be sent you privately
is fine; replying to such posts to the whole list if you are a supplier of
said product is against the guidelines.
Corollary: information about job vacancies for people with skills typical to
subscribers to Lactnet are perfectly fine to post here, as long as they
aren't for formula reps.

The observant subscriber will have noticed that this part of the guidelines
is often overstepped.  Rest assured that very little escapes the
listmothers' collective eagle eye, and be aware that if we have not posted
to the whole list about something, it doesn't mean we haven't written to the
subscriber privately.  One of the things we are happy to do in our volunteer
capacity is answer questions about the appropriateness of a particular post
*before you send it to the list*.
To reach the listmothers only, and not the whole list, write to

For the listmothers
Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway