From:
Morgan Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2007 11:49:21 +0100
I have an asylum seeking mother, severely traumatised by rape, beatings
and torture during pregnancy, that resulted in first born baby dying in
the womb, to be delivered at 28 weeks in hospital.

Currently has a 20 month old, and 6 month old, both breastfed.  Mother
is now without any support, and has been suffering severe post traumatic
shock, untreated since original baby's death in 2004.  Two weeks ago, a
GP put her on Paroxetine 20 mg daily and told her to stop
breastfeeding.  I was contacted yesterday by a supporter, and have
permission to post.

I've had little time to find out much more than that Paroxetine is an
SSRI.  Can those with greater medical knowledge than I, check the Hale,
and if this drug is not suitable for breastfeeding, suggest a substitute
that could be used in the circumstances?  We can then send her back to
the GP in the first instance and get her baby back onto the breast
before it's too late.

I am, of course, now trying to get her more support,  accommodation and
treatment etc.

thanks

Morgan Gallagher
www.nursingmatters.org.uk