From:
Sam Doak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2008 09:33:55 -0500
<< Over the course of many years, I have seen less morbidity (infants
have less severe brain damage) because of rapidly performed c-sections
in hospital births.  Home births may have more severe outcomes because  of
the distance from the hospital.>>

Three newborns have died in the past month in our local hospitals. From
personal resources on the staff, I know that none of these babies were
"attempted homebirths" and all were induced because the holidays were coming
up.

In our local area, a "stat c-sec" means it will be performed within 1 hour.
The anaethesia staff on call must be within 1/2 hour of the hospital, as
they all go home at 5pm. The obstetrician is only required to be on the
floor if a mother is "attempting a VBAC."

When a local midwife notices difficulty with the mother or baby, she would
immediately call her backup doctor or the hospital. Most parents live (or
temporarily relocate) within 1/2 hour of the hospital. By the time the
mother arrived to the hospital, the anaesthesia staff would be arriving at
the hospital.

As soon as something looks like it's out of the midwife's capacity, she gets
the mother to someone who has more expertise. Just like when as an LC I feel
I cannot best handle the situation, I call someone with more expertise (like
Linda Smith :o))

Statistics prove that a midwife attended homebirth is less dangerous, due to
concentrated care and fewer interventions. The Business of Being Born as
well as Gentle Birth Choices give realistic and truthful views of midwifery
attended births.

Just as it is difficult for a formula-feeding mother to hear the truth about
breastfeeding, it is difficult for medical care providers to hear the truth
about childbirth. It is similarly difficult for a "community trained" doula
to become an RN!

Best wishes,
Sam Doak (SRN, LPN, IBCLC)