From:
Morgan Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2007 20:07:49 +0100
Casey,

Babies cannot thumb suck before about 12 weeks - that's when they get
the fine motor control required.  Whilst they have been thumb sucking in
the womb, in order to build up their suckling skills, they cannot get
their own thumbs into their mouths after birth.  In utero, the thumb is
squished into place in front of the mouth by the position in the womb.

Therefore, when looking at the dummy/nipple confusion issues, you can't
easily switch over discussion between dummies and thumb sucking.  Thumb
sucking doesn't start until way after breastfeeding was either
succesfully established, or failed.  So thumb sucking isn't an issue on
nipple confusion in that way, as is suggested in your post.

Dr Harvey Karp, in "Baby Bliss" (The Happiest Baby on the Block, in the
USA) describes fully the process by which thumb sucking in the womb, can
be replaced by dummy use in the first three months, and how most babies
will stop using the dummy, and transfer to their thumbs, at about that
time.  (He states that giving a baby a dummy is about giving them
something they can control - they are free to spit it out.)  He does go
into the arguments about not using dummies as they can interfere with
breastfeeding, but advocates for the dummy, as he feels in the modern
world it's not practible for most mothers to offer unrestricted breast,
and therefore the dummy is an okay substitute until baby can get their
thumb into their mouths.  You may wish to check on this for your
research - with the caveat from me that I'm not endorsing this
viewpoint, just suggesting this resource for your research.
http://www.thehappiestbaby.com/

Morgan Gallagher