From:
Diana Cassar-Uhl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Oct 2007 21:47:18 -0400

Hello,

I also have a nipple that gets white "buds" on it from time to time.  This
is not related to thrush, but it is painful.  I find that when I feel this,
I should massage and squeeze the nipple near the "buds" (they are white,
bubble-like, swollen areas, don't know how else to describe them -- blebs, I
guess, but I get several at at ime, at the openings to milk ducts).  If I do
this in a hot shower, the pain is pretty severe but I am able to extract A
LOT (1/8-1/4 teaspoon) of "matter;" usually spongy, dried milk, sometimes
hard, stringy bits or "sticks" of dried milk.  I find I have to do this
every few weeks, it is only on one side, and I need to do it when latch is
painful or when just touching my nipple is too much pain.  After I spend a
few minutes, milk runs freely from the nipple pores where the "buds" were
earlier.  I figure it is probably just an issue with ducts getting plugged
from time to time.  I've been nursing at least one child since December of
2002 so I'm curious to see what happens when/if I ever stop
breastfeeding...I've been avoiding nursing on that side during this
pregnancy (it seems this breast has a direct line to my uterus, while
nursing from the other side doesn't seem to cause me any contractions or
discomfort...odd, I know) but I still have the build-up of "matter"
periodically that needs to be removed.

I hope this is helpful, maybe another perspective on what could be going on?
I'm quite sure I don't have yeast issues and I don't think it's an
infection.

--Diana in NY