From:
Heather LaRosa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2007 23:51:04 -0400
http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/10/10/nursing.diet.ap/index.html
Nursing an allergic baby, Mom goes on 'total elimination
 Some nursing moms turn to "elimination diets"-- cutting out common allergens

To try to ease her nursing daughter's severe digestive problems, Associated
Press writer Rebecca Boone tried eating only a handful of foods and adding
new ones, one at a time.

BOISE, Idaho (AP) -- About the only thing I knew for certain when I had my
daughter last December was that I would breast-feed. Every parenting book
I'd read and every childbirth class I'd attended emphasized nursing's
nutritional, developmental and emotional benefits for babies.

Rebecca Boone, with Nina, ate only organic turkey, rice and squash.

What I didn't know was one important thing: Some babies are allergic to foods
found in their mother's breast milk, and my baby was one of them.

As a first-time mom, I didn't recognize the warning signs. Nina's frequent,
anguished crying was colic, I figured, and her runny nose and chronic diarrhea
were just the result of her first bug. Her difficulty nursing? That was probably
just me not "doing it right." And I assumed she woke up every 40 minutes
during the night because she just hadn't learned how to sleep yet.

At first, Nina's pediatrician eased any fears I had. My daughter was growing
like crazy, and developmentally was right on track. But when the diarrhea
failed to go away after a month and a half, and blood started appearing in her
diapers, we visited a pediatric gastroenterology clinic and got the news: Nina
had a severe food intolerance to dairy and soy products.

An estimated 6 percent to 8 percent of children under 3 have food allergies,
according to the U.S. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. A
minority of those experience digestive-tract symptoms, ranging from pain and
diarrhea to internal bleeding, chronic inflammation, extra tissue growth and
failure to thrive.

Some good news: Most babies outgrow this type of allergy by preschool.

Unfortunately, there are no easy tests to determine just what the offending
foods are. Breast-feeding mothers typically rely on "elimination diets" - cutting
out some common allergens and seeing what happens.

"It gives the child the best chance for outgrowing the allergy," our nurse
practitioner, Barbie Doherty at Idaho Pediatric Gastroenterology, told us.

Cutting dairy, soy first

Under her supervision, I cut all traces of dairy and soy from my diet and began
keeping a food journal.

But Nina didn't get better. She got worse -- more internal bleeding, more pain
and more sleepless nights that left us both in tears.

Nina's doctor advised cutting more allergens from my diet. I began avoiding
wheat, eggs and nuts, which along with dairy and soy cause the vast majority
of food allergies. And because my food journal suggested they might be
causing symptoms to flare, I also avoided fish, shellfish, citrus fruits, tomatoes
and corn.

It was hard, but gratifying when Nina's chronically runny nose and eyes
cleared. Her intestines continued to bleed, however, and her pain continued. I
looked in my pantry and realized: Thousands of foods, additives and
preservatives remained in my diet, all of them suspect.

At Nina's appointment that week, Doherty and I discussed my options. Nina
could either go on an expensive hypoallergenic formula until she outgrew her
food intolerances, or I could try a "total elimination diet," eating only a handful
of foods and adding new ones, one at a time.

Remember all those "breast is best" baby books? I did, and chose the total
elimination diet, or TED.

Doherty supported my choice, but reluctantly. She'd seen few parents in her
practice who had succeeded with this method, and she noted that there is
limited research on its effectiveness.

There's no clear consensus on TEDs among doctors. Some, like Paul Williams, a
clinical professor at the University of Washington and chairman of the allergy
and immunology section for the American Academy of Pediatrics, say total
elimination diets are seldom the best way for breast-feeding moms to deal with
food allergies.

Turning to formula

"I can think of times when it might be beneficial to eliminate classes of foods,
such as milk and soy, but if you have to do more, why continue to breast-
feed?" Williams said. "You're going to have to limit yourself so much that you
could possibly cause nutrition problems."

Williams generally recommends hypoallergenic formulas, instead.

Critics warn that elimination diets can prolong a child's suffering while the
mother tries to select the right foods.

But Dr. Bill Sears, an associate clinical professor of pediatrics at the University
of California, Irvine, School of Medicine, is a proponent of total elimination
diets to allow continued breast-feeding.

"It's only been in the last 10 years that it's been appreciated that these
babies don't have just colic," he said. "A colicky baby is a hurting baby, and 90
percent of the time they hurt for one of two reasons: Either they have a food
intolerance or reflux or both."

Parents should develop a food-allergy treatment plan only under a doctor's
care, health experts note, and should get their baby a complete exam to rule
out more serious health problems.

My husband and I talked it all over.

The formula wasn't covered by our insurance, and it would cost about $800 a
month - more, as Nina grew. Not only could the TED save us a ton of money,
it also would mean that Nina would get the other benefits of breast milk, such
as fewer ear infections.

Our decision was made, and I picked my new menu: organic turkey, rice and
squash, seasoned only with canola oil, sea salt and black pepper.

The first few days were kind of fun, as I sought new and interesting ways to
combine my few ingredients.

Nutrition worries-At the end of the first week, however, I'd lost close to 10
pounds and realized I needed to eat more. I bought a rice steamer for work
and a deep fryer for home, frying either the turkey or the squash in canola oil
at least once a day for a calorie-rich meal.

I worried that Nina wouldn't get enough nutrition from my breast milk on such
a restricted diet, but a call to a lactation consultant assured me that I would
have to be on the TED far longer than the few months I had planned for my
milk supply to suffer.

The goal was to get Nina symptom-free and then add foods back into my diet
slowly, watching her for any adverse effects. I daydreamed about pears,
envisioning them baking for dessert, sweetening my rice cereal in the morning,
serving as a compote for baked turkey. After the pears I planned broccoli,
more for its nutritional super-food status than anything.

For support, recipes and firsthand experience, I turned to Web sites run by
organizations like Kids with Food Allergies. Lots of moms were nursing on
nothing but turkey, rice and squash, or other TEDs, I realized.

Jen Maidenberg, a mother of two in West Orange, New Jersey, dropped to only
four foods plus olive oil and sea salt for four weeks because her son, 9-month-
old Oliver, suffers from severe food intolerances.

"The most challenging thing was not being able to get something quick to eat
when I was out. When you're nursing, you get hungry a lot so you have to be
prepared," she said.

Maidenberg eventually had to switch Oliver to formula. But she said the TED
improved her own health as well as his."I'd been diagnosed with IBS (irritable
bowel syndrome), but I discovered it's clearly some sort of food because it
cleared up on the diet," she said. "This is the best I've ever felt in my adult
life."

Maidenberg discovered that milk, wheat and gluten make her IBS act up.

Ultimately, although Nina improved, she was still bleeding occasionally after
two months on my total elimination diet. We then learned that a mild bleeding
disorder was complicating her reactions, and she was on the extreme end of
the food intolerance spectrum.

Doherty and I agreed to switch to the prescription formula.

I battered myself with questions: Had I weighed the risks and benefits of
breast-feeding correctly? Would it have worked if I'd tried quinoa, blueberries
and zucchini, or some other magic combination? I was proud I'd been able to
stick to the diet, but I was heartbroken that it hadn't "fixed" my baby's illness.
Gradually, however, I've come to realize: Despite all the baby books and
expert advice, each child responds differently. Nina healed slowly on the
formula, but she healed.At the very least, the TED saved us the roughly
$1,600 expense of a two-month supply of prescription formula. At best, I gave
Nina some benefits of breast-feeding until she was 4 months old. And when we
try solid foods (a landmark I hope is just around the corner), I'll have a better
idea what we can try right away and what will have to wait a year or two