HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Aug 2007 16:44:05 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (35 lines)
Kim

I have conducted several excavations at the John P. Parker House and Foundry site in Ripley, Ohio.  Parker, a former slave, was one of the top conductors on the underground railroad, and he operated an iron foundry in Ripley for at least 55 years (ca. 1845-1900).  During 2000 excavations we opened exploratory trenches within the footprint of the foundry.  Digging through foundry waste (clinkers, coal, ash, and slag) we exposed numerous features including stone pier footers, wooden floors, ceramic crucible fragments, maunfacturing elements, and the brick floor of the cupola furnace/coke oven.  All is included in a gray literature report on the project with recommendations for further work.  We have not revisited the foundry because we believe that expert foundry advice is necessary.

Bob Genheimer
George Rieveschl Curator of Archaeology
Cincinnati Museum Center
1301 Western Avenue
Cincinnati, Ohio 45203
513-455-7161

-----Original Message-----
From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of
Kimberly Smith
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2007 9:25 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Archaeology of Foundries

Hello, 
Can anyone help me find publications/reports concerning the archaeology conducted at foundries.  I'm currently working on a foundry in Savannah and am interested in reading about what others have done and their research designs.   I know of several reported in the Industrial Archaeology Newsletter, but am sure there are others.  Thank you for your help.

Kim Smith

Now Showing...The Alps, playing at the NEW Robert D. Lindner Family OMNIMAX Theater. Experience an avalanche, a thrilling climb and an inspirational journey. Voyage along John Harlin III’s incredibly difficult climb up the Eiger North Face in the Swiss Alps. Follow on his expedition as he strives to conquer and summit the same peak that killed his father 1966. Witness unimaginable magnificence on this dangerous journey of man versus mountain.

NOW SHOWING...WORLD PREMIER FROM NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC. 
REAL PIRATES: The Untold Story of the Whydah From Slave Ship to Pirate Ship. See a vast array of real pirate treasure and pirate ship artifacts. Opens June 30, 2007.

ATOM RSS1 RSS2