HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bob Genheimer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Aug 2007 16:44:05 -0400
Kim

I have conducted several excavations at the John P. Parker House and Foundry site in Ripley, Ohio.  Parker, a former slave, was one of the top conductors on the underground railroad, and he operated an iron foundry in Ripley for at least 55 years (ca. 1845-1900).  During 2000 excavations we opened exploratory trenches within the footprint of the foundry.  Digging through foundry waste (clinkers, coal, ash, and slag) we exposed numerous features including stone pier footers, wooden floors, ceramic crucible fragments, maunfacturing elements, and the brick floor of the cupola furnace/coke oven.  All is included in a gray literature report on the project with recommendations for further work.  We have not revisited the foundry because we believe that expert foundry advice is necessary.

Bob Genheimer
George Rieveschl Curator of Archaeology
Cincinnati Museum Center
1301 Western Avenue