HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2007 02:36:34 EDT

In a message dated 8/6/2007 2:57:17 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

At  the
Spencer-Peirce-Little Farm in Newbury, MA, residents in both the 18th  and
19th centuries also allowed "dumps" of ceramics and glass to build up  to be
used for drainage, in one case in a privy, in another in a  fence-ditch.  In
the latter case the sherds and glass fragments  probably also

Yes, let us not forget French drains. I often heard old farmers say they  dug
French drains or long trenches from their kitchen or wash rooms and filled
the hole with broken things in the yard to capture and slow "black water" out
into the yard. This included soapy water, food remains, and all sorts of
organics. As recently as the 1970s, I dug a French drain for a redwood hot tub
and filled the trench with broken concrete, bricks, and plaster statuary. I even
 marked the bottom with a sheet of carbon scratched with the date and my
name.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.