Date:
Sun, 14 Oct 2007 09:43:28 EDT

In a message dated 10/14/2007 8:43:24 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

this  baby seemed like it was=20=

turning the corner ie milk in swallows  heard via mom, insisting number 1 =
did the=20
same thing  etc.

this post prompted me to want to update on our very similar situation - i  am
so glad i rented the scale and so grateful for the suggestion!

i test weighed pre and post feed at every nursing session starting the day
before yesterday. the scale (a medela) showed me that several of elijah's feeds
 yielded him 3 oz (these were the 25-35 min ones - 5 of them, according to my
 documentation) and the rest were all 2-2.5 oz.

i knew all along the milk was there and i knew he had no problem
transferring it - he was just sleeping too much and not taking it in often  enough and i
am also thinking maybe the allergy/bleeding issue was interfering  w/
digestion and he was pooping more of it out than he should have been. he was  5lbs, 4
oz the day before yesterday and went to bed yesterday at 5.6 oz.

pumping and doing a bottle would have been an incredible hassle for   me  -
w/ 5 kids aged 7 and under. the fact of the matter is i hardly even  sit down
to nurse him as it is! i am usually walking around w/ him in football  hold, a
sling or a wrap, helping a toddler on and off the toilet, picking up a  mess,
standing over grade schoolers doing homework while i  check dinner...  it
would completely stress me out to have to fit in pumpings, bottlefeedings and
cleaning bottles on top of it! and if someone told me i had to give him formula,
i would be absolutely devastated and fearful. i'd be afraid to try formula w/
 this blood in the stool thing and after exclusively bfing (tandem and
triandem  for over 6 yrs) all the others, i would feel i had failed elijah and would
be  very depressed about it.

anyway, just wanted to offer a peek into the other side  - why moms  might
seem resistant...  tho in my case i think i have the advantage of  being a
little more experienced and informed than most. in other cases i think  moms know
and have felt the pressure that bfing is best and honestly just want  to do the
best for their babies. i'm so glad we have tools like accurate scales  and if
my scale had told me he truly wasn't getting enough milk (an  impossibility
in my mind since i am nursing 3 again and know i have always had  tons of milk
as i've nursed multiples far longer than i've nursed a singleton!)  then i
would have done whatever had to be done, like it or not. (which by the  way for
me means obtaining the frozen milk of a dear and trusted friend who can
provide a medical clearance before i ever turned to formula.)

~jacqui gruttadauria, bsw
near detroit, mi.
_myspace.com/mummaTOwldthings_
(http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=161196488)