From:
Linda Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2007 10:32:19 -0500
Kika and others,

     I have been following this post, which in and of itself is amazing for
me, as I usually just shrug these type of posts off as our differences and
how we are all not going to agree etc.   And I probably should just leave
well enough alone, but, alas, I feel the need to post something.

     I also have come to the point where I feel it is my job to help the
moms meet THEIR goals.  I delivered my children by natural childbirth.  I
breastfed my kids until they were interested in weaning, both over 3 years.
My kids never had a drop of formula.  I wore my kids in slings.  My kids
slept in our bed.  (...)  These were MY goals.  Who am I to assume that what
worked for me will work for all others?  As someone else so eloquently said,
"until you have walked a mile in their shoes..."    I also was overcoming
abuse issues, and breastfeeding actually was extremely healing for me.  The
breast was being used for what it was meant for, instead of some sick act of
unfair abuse.  But just because that worked for me, doesnt mean it will work
for others.  I,too, have dealt with moms who couldnt tolerate even their
clothes brushing up against their nipples.  If I wasnt sensitive to these
moms physical and pschological needs, and was just bent on "breast is best",
who am I helping?  Who's ego am I dealing with?  Yes, it is my wish that
every baby would get their moms breastmilk, but I would not be acting in my
professional realm, if I could not recognize and change the plan of care,
when breastfeeding and sometimes even pumping is not in the best interest of
this dyad.  The number one goal is to "feed the baby'.  When it is not
working at the breast, it is our job to change the plan, or find a plan that
will work.   I feel we must be sensitive to moms needs and help her to be
the best mother she can be.  What helped me to be the best mother I can be
is not going to be the same for others.  Though breastmilk is optimal with
lifetime benefits for both mom and baby, I would rather give these moms
"permission" to supplement, even with the dreaded, god forbid, "formula",
than to go off the deep end, and not be available to their babies
emotionally or physically anymore!

     SO...like Kika said,  "Im here to support you and lend you my skills in
achieving it"  and "turns out in the end that THAT gets a lot more moms
exclusively breastfeeding",  I also have seen this time and time again.
Meeting THEIR needs, not MINE, is my goal.  And every  moms goals are
different.  They leave my office feeling empowered, not defeated.  Doctors
recommend their patients to me, because they know that I am not a
"breastfeeding n_z_", (their words, not mine), and their patients will get
their needs met.  THEIR needs!  I am a breastfeeding advocate!  Which of us
isnt?!  But, I will not push what worked for me, or my goals on another!  I
will educate.  I will support.  I will bend.  I will help each mom be the
best she can be by helping her meet her goals!

Linda Hill RN, IBCLC

  _____

<http://promos.hotbar.com/promos/promodll.dll?RunPromo&El=&SG=sg984&RAND=713
88&partner=spamblockerutility> Upgrade Your Email - Click here!