From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2007 22:07:33 -0500
Melinda,
I ask the mom for permission if I am going to call WIC, for example, to help
mom obtain a pump for a premie baby. I will tell the mom that I will make
the call for her but I will have to share info on the baby's age, weight,
and general condition, and give mom's name and contact no. The mom has
always said yes to go ahead becoz often she has been in contact with a peer
counselor during the pregnancy. We are also working on a consent form for
our outpatients, as we do fax a report to the pediatrician and so we have a
phrase in their giving permission to share the info with certain hcp's which
you could pencil in.
Until we implement the consent which has to go thru forms committees etc, I
let the mother know that a report will be sent to the peds and a phone call
if something is urgent, and I get mom's verbal consent.
It is an area which we must be careful with.
Laurie Wheeler, RN, MN, IBCLC
MISSISSIPPI USA