From:
Tina Kimmel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2007 13:50:50 -0700
The wonderful 1995 book edited by Patricia
Stuart-Macadam and Katherine A. Dettwyler,
Breastfeeding: Biocultural Perspectives. (New
York: Aldine De Gruyter) contains chapters on
weaning and baby-led breastfeeding. eg,

It is reasonable to assume that five to seven
million years of evolution as hunting and
gathering hominids on the East African savanna
have resulted in an organism that relies on
nursing to provide the context for physical,
cognitive, and emotional development. Natural
selection has favored those infants with a
strong, genetically-coded blueprint that leads
them to expect nursing to continue for a number
of years after birth, and that results in the
urge to suckle remaining strong for this entire
period. (p. 66)

Tina

At 9:33 PM +0200 6/25/07, Marit Olanders wrote:
>In the human Environment of Evolutionary
>Adaptedness ... do/did the children breastfeed
>until they ceased by themselves? Or do/did the
>mothers , wean them? Where can I find more
>information about this?
>
>Marit Olanders
>breastfeedeing consellor in the Swedish assosciation Amningshjälpen
>editor of Amningshjälpen's magazine Amningsnytt

Tina Kimmel, PhD, MSW, MPH
Oakland, CA, US