From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Nov 2007 11:05:04 EDT
Dear Friends:

Fiona Robertson asks about dolls in teaching.

I have been influenced in my teaching and clinical practice by some of the
great minds I've encountered; I got this idea from the faculty at Healthy
Children. When I teach and model breastfeeding (using my StressChest  flexible
breast model) I use a floppy stuffed animal that is about as long as a  baby.
Because I see so many different colors of people, I enjoy using a "baby"  that
has no gender and no ethnic quality; using something soft and cuddly sends  a
message too.

I have seen other professionals use their hands to illustrate points of
latch and I do that also. Cathy Watson Genna did a lovely job of using her arm  to
represent a tongue and her other arm to demonstrate the various degrees of
tongue tie. Chloe Fisher, in the film "She Needs You" made in Sweden, uses a
hand puppet and a knitted breast to demonstrate proper attachment.

We all have our styles and preferences; our intention is what matters. I've
used a bottle of juice to represent a baby when there was nothing else
available; my intention was to communicate the elements of correct  positioning.

Just my personal opinion from years of practice.

There are many studies showing that modeling is effective, more so  than
handling a woman's breast. Kvist et al showed that women don't like  their breasts
handled; the article is in (International Breastfeeding Journal 2007, 2:2 (23
January 2007)

Harris and Fletcher wrote about hands-off teaching in Breastfeeding Review,
as did Ingram et al (_Midwifery._ (javascript:AL_get(this, 'jour',
'Midwifery.');)  2002  Jun;18(2):87-101)

"IMPLICATIONS FOR PRACTICE: teaching mothers how to breastfeed in a
'hands-off' way is important in empowering mothers to 'do it for themselves' and  in
improving breastfeeding rates. Widespread adoption of consistent good  practice
is achievable following a brief workshop teaching session. Using the
'breastfeeding score checklist' may help midwives to assess a breastfeed more
accurately and determine which aspects need improving. "
-----------
I am reminded of an incredible and wonderful story that Nancy  Mohrbacher
told in her book 7 Steps to Breastfeeding, where the gorilla learned  to
breastfeed her baby by seeing a group of nursing mothers outside her cage.  Seeing
teaches better than telling, even across species!!

I did a Google Scholar search for "hands off teaching breastfeeding" and am
surprised with how many articles there are on this topic.

My goodness, this has turned into a long post!
warmly,

Nikki Lee RN, MS, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CCE, CIMI
_www.breastfeedingalwaysbest.com_ (http://www.breastfeedingalwaysbest.com/)
www.myspace/AdonicaLee