From:
Sue Pace <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2007 17:13:07 -0400
I believe the code was violated here in our BFHI accredited hospital in New
Zealand. Under the guise of a Paediatrician/dietician presentation
aboutAllergies a formula company ran a promotion about a formula for birth -12
months for infants with Cows Milk Allergy, the lure was the free lunch, pens,
and promotional packs which included a starter tin, a baby bib, fridge magnet
and a "how to get started guide"-all rather useles for the average Health
Professsional so obviously intended to be passed to families. There was other
stuff-too lengthy to post.
Our Breastfeeding Policy specifically addresses breaches of the code here in
this hospital. We also have one of the highest Maori populations in NZ and
breastfeeding rates for them are less than stable. The breach has been
notified to IBAN/IFANZ and an letter circulated to CEO, General manager and
Head of Maori health. The event came to my notice because my vigilant
manager spotted the rep in the lift and sent me to 'spy', I had not received an
invite- once I had been identified I was invited to stay to a very delicious
looking lunch-but I won't be party to this back door approach.

Sue-still steaming.