From:
Leslie Wolff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Sep 2007 17:11:26 +0200
The source is: Breastfeeding and Human Lactation by Riordan/ Chapter 7
Perinatal and Intrapartum Care page no. 195.   "Guidelines for the infant
who does not latch-on (according to hours postpartum)". Adapted from
Memorial Hospital, Colorado Springs, Colorado, 2003.
The exact wording in the beginning is: for full-term healthy baby, no
supplement is necessary (in the first 24 hours) providing that the baby has
periods of awake and quiet, and vital signs and blood sugar are within
normal limits.
Then it goes on about attempts to BF,  skin to skin ,etc.
In searching for a good protocol to offer my doctors, I have a problem with
the words : blood sugar are within normal limits.  We are pleased that we
DON'T check glucose if there is no reason for it, and I would not be happy
doing this intervention in order "to be sure that all is fine."
I would love to have a protocol for all our nurses to bide by...
This is a great opportunity for me to ask if any of you , who work in a
hospital, have written protocols on this theme - I would be very
appreciative if you would send them to me. They can be sent to me by LIST or
personally  : [log in to unmask]

Another comment about the same Guidelines:
24-48 hours: If unsuccessful after 10 minutes of trying to breastfeed, feed
baby with expressed breastmilk + water to equal 10-15 cc.Use formula is no
breastmiulk available.
Do any of you do this- mix cholestrum  with water ?

These are  questions that have been on my mind these past few days/weeks .
The best to you all
Leslie Wolff
Co-ordinator of Breastfeeding at Bnai Zion Hospital
HAifa, Israel