Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Laura Herron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Sep 2007 19:41:34 -0700
I am a nursing student at Ivy Tech.  I am interested to find out more about the use of donated breast milk being given to preemies in the hospital.  I did some research first, to see what type of screening process the donors and their milk underwent.   I found this process to be very extensive.  According to National Milk Bank, donors first have to be recommended by their own physician, as well as their own baby's pediatrician to ensure that both mother and baby are healthy.  The donor then undergoes a battery of blood tests and drug screens and must complete a tell tale questionnaire.  If the donor is approved, every detail, down to the DNA contained in the donated milk and the containers used for storage are monitored. Donors must undergo this extensive screening every four months to continue to donate.  Although this screening is rather intense, donors are not normally compensated monetarily. This led me to ask, with all this effort required to be put
 forth strictly by volunteers, how much milk is actually being donated and is there a demand for donated breast milk in hospitals?  The Human Milk Banking Association of North America claims that in 2005, their organization alone provided 745,329 ounces of donated breast milk to hospitals in over 80 cities.  What I would like to know is if you are aware of hospitals which use donated breastmilk?  What is the protocol? Are you aware of any cases where parents of an infant in serious need of donor milk refused its use?
All responses will be appreciated.
Sincerely,
Laura Herron, ITSN