Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Katherine Lilleskov <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2007 20:11:02 -0400
Hey fellow breast detectives,
I'm wondering if anyone has ever worked with a woman who has an ovarian
dermoid cyst that interferred with establishing a milk supply. I am woirking
with a woman who is only producing a half ounce per feeding at two weeks
despite pumping, fenugreek, all the usual interventions. She does have a
dermoid cyst that she has had for 10 years. Apparently they can sometimes
produce testosterone  and other hormones. I am trying to convince the OB in
this case to do a blood workup  to determine if the cyst is causing problems
and would be curious to have any input. Also suggestions for other hormones
to check besides testosterone and thyroid panel, because apparently these
cysts can produce a whole array of hormones.

I am aware of the issues with PCOS and theca lutein cysts but haven't found
anything specifically in the literature about breastfeeding and dermoid cysts
though I have been reading about their ability to occasionally lead to
virilization. BTW, this woman had no infertility issues.

Thanks for any input.
Kathy Lilleskov RN IBCLC