Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2007 08:27:12 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (33 lines)
This is a personal request for any experiences any of you may have regarding this puzzling situation.  My objectivity is "out the window." 

My newborn son is not pooping according to the expected "norm" for breastfed babes. He's my 3rd, second homebirth. He did not feed well initially and probably did not get the colostrum bolus he should have had immediately post delivery.  Since 48 hours post partum I have had tons of milk and he's been feeding well, audible swallowing, cluster feeding on demand.  Averages atleast 8 wet diapers q 24 hours.  He was gaining weight well at one week of age, almost back to birth weight. He will be weighed again Wednesday and I anticipate he will exceed birthweight.

He is 13 days old and has only spontaneously pooped twice since birth at 1 and 4 days of life. He was stimulated by rectal exam in MDs office to poop a 3rd time at 8 days of life.  Yesterday, on day 12 of life, I reluctantly gave him a glycerin suppository due to him being a little fussier than usual and his daddy was worried about him.  After a nap, 1 1/12 hours post suppository he produced a mustard-brown soft "creamy peanut butter" consistency stool.  It was not the light color or softer consistency I would have liked to have seen in an almost 2 week old breastfed infant.  

Any comments/advice/experience with this sort of thing would be lovely to hear about. It would be very nice to read about familiar experiences!! 

I am an LC and certainly am aware that older breastfed infants can have infrequent bms after 3-6 weeks of age. Its the infrequent stooling from birth that has really gotten us concerned. In my researching this, I have been surprised at how unusual/unheard of this sort of infrequent stooling is in newborns less than 3 weeks of age is, which only increases my anxiety(further decreasing my objectivity!).  It is also perplexing that he doesn't have "classic" Hirschsprung type symptoms- no spitting up, no bowel distension, he's in no apparent distress, and he did stool twice in the first week of life.     

Please email privately, I do not want to clog up Lactnet with my personal issue.  
I am looking for any experiences with this sort of thing in such a young one.

Mary Herrington, RN, IBCLC
  currently on maternity leave from:
  Labor & Delivery, Memorial Hermann The Woodlands
  Lactation, Memorial Hermann Northwest
  In Warm and Sunny Texas

---------------------------------
Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell?
 Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or [log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or ([log in to unmask])
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2