From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2007 21:18:39 +0200
Any of you Lactnetters attending the LLLI conference should try to find
Elisabet Helsing (nutritionist and long time employee of WHO in Copenhagen
where she co-authored the document on infant feeding in emergencies, and
author of the first and IMO best book on breastfeeding ever written in
Norway), who will be in attendance there.  I don't know whether she is
speaking or participating in workshops in connection with WABA's presence
there, but she will be there and I'd love it if you, one by one, made
yourselves known to her and told her you know of her through this list.
She holds the Norwegian Royal Gold Medal for Service, awarded for her
lifetime contribution to child health through her work in Norway but
especially at WHO, and it was the Norwegian mothers' BF organization,
Ammehjelpen, that put her name forth as a worthy recipient.  So if you have
never met someone who holds a royal order, now's your chance.  She won't
likely have the medal on because she is not that kind of a person, so you'll
have to go by name badge or just looking for the woman who looks like a
nutritionist.
Elisabet was the one who coined the term lactosaurus, to denote those
dinosaurs among us who never tire of working with breastfeeding, long after
our own nurslings have weaned and moved out and had babies of their own.
The full name is Lactosaurus supportiva regina - the queen dinosaurs of
breastfeeding support.  Maybe you could just go up and ask her 'Aren't you
one of those Lactosauruses I've heard tell about?'  She'd be mystified and
delighted - and don't tell her I sent you.
Rachel Myr
Abject admirer of Elisabet, in Kristiansand, Norway