From:
Linda Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jun 2007 12:22:57 -0400
I'm so glad that the very sad misinformation on Weston Price's site
about breastfeeding has been pointed out. Their followers are VERY
defensive about his information.

Maternal nutrition: First of all, if a WP follower thinks baby needs all
these wonderful nutrients in WP's formula recipe, why doesn't the mom
just drink it herself, nurse the baby, and give the baby the best
of "both worlds."

In parts of the world, babies become anemic, zinc deficient, vitamin A
deficient, etc. early when their mothers are very malnourished (these
are where the studies come from that suggest benefits from introducing
solid foods by 4 or 6 months). So yes, diet matters. Western mothers
may truly be malnourished in terms of optimal nutrition for themselves,
but they most likely have minimally acceptable levels of nutrients to
make very adequate milk, and they still have immune systems (and
plenty of calories) to create immune components from. Meat and milk
consumption are quite high in the Western world (i'm not saying this is
optimal, but) so few Western moms will be too low in iron, zinc, or A to
provide good amounts in their milk (even if it weakens their own
supplies).

"Average" DHA levels in human milk, measured in the Western world
over the years of our worst omega-3 intakes (lowest fish eating and pre-
fish-oil awareness) has been reported to be .05 grams per 100g --- 5
times what they're adding to formulas today. More may be a little
better, and possibly so with some other nutrients, but we are speaking
very, very marginal differences compared to WP's grandiose claims.

Best, linda
Baby Matters