From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2007 10:21:47 -0500
>Have they seen absconding swarms in CCD yards with suspected AHB?

I have never heard the above discussed.

>   a lack of robbing by other bees or a
reluctance by wax moths or SHBs to enter the abondoned hives?

This is only my opinion:

I have read that robbing of CCD boxes does not occur by bees. I would bet
money if I tossed a CCD deadout box full of honey out in one of my yards on
a day no plants are blooming the box  would get robbed. Robbing is a big
problem with the Italians I run. Picked up two weak hives which were
overwhelmed by robbers yesterday. I had entrances reduced!

I also can not see what could possibly be in those deadouts which would
prevent the SHB from entering for the pollen ( maybe could be used to repel
SHB?)but what do I know as only a beekeeper. I can believe that the hives
around the CCD apiary were busy working a floral source to rob or maybe even
too weak but the hypothesis some unknown thing in the CCD deadout prevented
the robbing, wax moth or SHB from entering is tough for me to believe.

bob

--
believed to be clean.