Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Pam Hirsch, BSN,RN,IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 May 2007 14:16:15 -0400
katharine:  Would you believe, according to my doctorate in OT daughter,
sensory integration theory is not well-accepted in the therapy world!  How can
this be, when our very existence in the world, involves 24/7, continuous
integration by our bodies of the stimuli of the outside world!  I find sensory
integration to be a fascinating topic and if I had my life to do over, I might
have ended up in therapy - LOL!  My daughter tells me that I am not a nurse -
I'm an OT in disguise!
Until you related your experience, I had not even considered that some
mothers who are already dealing with other sensory integration issues in their
lives, could have sensory issues with the act of putting a baby to their
breast.  It totally makes sense!  I would think that the emotional and physical
intenseness of the act of breastfeeding could certainly evoke intense feelings
in the mother which she might have trouble "integrating".
Thank you so much, katharine, for giving me a whole new slant on
breastfeeding!

Pam Hirsch, BSN,RN,IBCLC
Clinical Lead, Lactation Services
Advocate Good Shepherd Hospital