From:
Mary-Jane Sackett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Aug 2007 14:49:56 EDT

Sima writes:  "Has anybody heard of a viral or bacterial infection on  the
tongue that looks like pimples, and causes cracks and bleeding on the  mother's
breasts?"

Posted with permission.  My granddaughter developed the "hand, foot,  and
mouth disease" (a viral infection from the Coxsackie virus or a similar
herpatic-like virus, according to her pedi) this past winter and it  infected my
daughter's nipples and breasts to such an extent that she had to  wean at 16
months. If anyone is interested in a digital picture of the more  extensively
involved breast, e-mail me privately and I will send it to  you.  It was
excruciatingly painful for both, and it was so sad that the  breastfeeding that was
giving comfort to my granddaughter made things worse, and  had to be ended
abruptly.  My daughter said that the only positive thing in  the whole experience was
that my granddaughter began to sleep consistently  through the night when she
could no longer nurse, and the extra rest may have  helped to heal my
daughter's breasts and nipples more quickly.

Mary-Jane  Sackett, RN, BSN, IBCLC, RLC
Pittsfield, MA (western  Massachusetts-USA)"