From:
Diane Perrone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2007 09:43:07 -0500
My hospital experience with nipple shields was to welcome their use.
Nursing staff had been using bottle nipples placed over mother's nipple to
get a baby to latch on.  This actually worked with some mom and most of the
babies!  But they were actually dangerous because they could be aspirated,
so we got in nipple shields as a safer alternative.

With all the situations that have been saved by using a nipple shield and
with fewer concerns about milk supply, why do we fret so much?  What about
packaging a flyer with specific directions and cautions written by the
unit's LC right along with the nipple shield?  You could also attach an
informed consent that mother would be required to sign after being
instructed by the nurse.  The nurse would be expected to give guidance to
the mother; you could even include criteria for use that would have to be
met.

Anything that gets staff nurses involved in preserving and promoting
breastfeeding in the hospital and beyond should be encouraged in my opinion.

Diane E. Perrone, RNC
Materna Wellborn
Algonquin  IL  USA