Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2007 12:07:11 -0500
With the mother's permission I share with you what her steps have
been. She and I appreciate all of you for considering this case and
giving your thoughts on it.

Pat Gima
Hi Pat,

Here's an update on the everything we have considered to explain the
spotting my daughter had on Sunday.  If anyone suggests anything
outside these lines of thought I will be eager to look into those
possible explanations.

I examined my daughter's anatomy immediately when I first noticed the
blood, to look for any sign of injury, irritation or trauma.  While I
love and trust everyone in my family, I knew I needed to look for and
consider the possibility that someone had hurt her.  There was
absolutely no sign of irritation on her body.  She reported no recent
"owies" and acted relaxed, happy and trusting of all family
members.  Believe me, I was watching her carefully for any unusual behavior.

We traveled home on Monday and I took her to the pediatrician on
Tuesday.  She examined her carefully and confirmed my assessment that
she appeared to have normal, healthy anatomy.  We did a clean catch
urine test and all variables of the test came out normal.  There were
no blood cells in her urine to suggest a bladder infection had been
the source of the blood.

The pediatrician told me she had seen little girls with vaginal
spotting in the past when they had gotten into their mother's birth
control pills or estrogen cream.  I do not have any of those and my
mother-in-law reported none in her house either.

She had not had a bowel movement that day, so I don't think the blood
could be do to a tear from a difficult bowel movement as some people suggested.

She has not yet discovered playing with herself for pleasurable
stimulation, plus she had been fully clothed all day, so some tiny
finger nail cut is not a likely explanation either.

You mentioned that one reply you recieved was of a six year old with
vaginal spotting that turned out to be rhabdomyosarcoma.  My research
on this showed my daughter could fit the profile: most common in 1-5
yr olds, the genitourinary system (includig vagina or uterus) as a
common location, no early symptoms if growing in a cavity, passing
blood as a sign.  Our pediatrician thought her blood was more
plausibly related to a flux in my hormones than to a tumor.  She was
content to wait and see if the bleeding ever recurred.  But she left
the decision to me whether to wait and see or take her to Children's
Hospital for a CT scan.

Since rhabdomyosarcoma is an aggressive, fast growing, malignant
tumor, I was nervous about a wait and see approach.  So I took her
yesterday, Thursday, to Children's for the test.    While the tech
was not at liberty to give me any results, the fact that they let us
go versus admitting her to the hospital suggested that the tech
didn't see anything bad.  I expect that the radiologist will review
the pictures and send a report to my pediatrician, who will in turn
call me in a couple days.

So, I'm left with no better explanation than a flux in my
hormones.  I do think my hormones have been off kilter recently,
since I started with yeast infections the week before my period
started the last 2 months--possibly estrogen related--similar to how
I had chronic yeast infections throughout my pregnancy with my
daughter when estrogen was higher in my system.

Thanks again for your willingness to help me search for an answer and
to the participants of Lactnet.

Dawn

Mailto:[log in to unmask]