From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2007 20:57:26 -0500
Liz
I actually think she has MANY of the classic signs of mastitis and possibly
abscess, of which I have had both.  I would recommend a breast ultrasound,
which sometimes reads negative, but can be repeated in a day or two if
symptoms do not resolve, and then often an abscess will present itself.  I
would recommend that if she is feeling better but not totally improved,
perhaps she would need a different antibiotic, but I definitely feel she
does need antibiotics. I am not well versed on what the ideal medication
would be, but her doctor should be.
I don't know how she managed so many days feeling so lousy. Bedrest with
prescription pain medication would have been beneficial I think, and
something like ibuprofen every 6 hrs for pain relief and anti-inflammatory.
The nipple being painful and the breast pain being concentrated below the
areola leads me to think that is where the pocket of infection may be. She
may have actually had a nipple bleb, which I have also had, and makes the
nipple exquisitely painful at times, and behind that became a blocked duct,
and then mastitis. Who knows. She does sound like a very sick lady, I was
hospitalized for 5 days, so it is no joke, and she should be staying on top
of her need for treatment and followup.
Feel free to forward this to the mother.
Laurie Wheeler RN MN IBCLC
Mississippi USA