From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2007 08:33:01 +1000
Hi Diana,
Thanks for sharing.
IMO if there is a high risk with a condition and if there are things that
can be done in pregnancy then perhaps there is reason to bring it up before
birth but only if something can be done. Providing appropriate support after
birth does not require intervention prior.

I don't see it as being patronising but as a situation where we really don't
know what is going to happen.

Some mums may say that when they had difficulties that they wished that they
might have had some forewarning. However, if they have had appropriate
support and treatment then forwarning would not make any difference in the
outcome. However, when you hear from mums who have had the stuffing knocked
out of them by LCs who have said that they will likely not be able to make
enough milk (or just says she will not) and it takes her much hard work to
claw back her confidence in her body and in her ability to breastfeed then
it doesn't make for fans of prenatal prediction!

What proportions of mums with hypoplasia (and do we have the ability to
diagnose it accurately ) have difficulty with supply?  Perhaps this is an
exception?

Hotmilk is the first national conference ever for ABA. 1300 or so delegates
and some fabulous speakers! It's still a week and half away but I've got a
debate to write! I'm on the affirmative team asserting the "Breastfeeding is
not best" I think it's going to be fun!

Karleen Gribble
Australia