Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 12 Apr 2007 10:54:11 -0400
From:
"Lynnette Hafken, IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Comments:
Hi!  You were looking for data on this and got some good ideas.
While some people make decisions based on research data, others make
decisions based on emotion and common sense.  If a mother says to you
"I would like the new formula with the DHA," you can say simply "you
sound worried that your milk is not good enough" and listen to her
response.  If she says something like "well, I saw this commercial
about brain and vision growth with the DHA, and I want to make sure
my baby is getting that even though I don't eat that well."  Then you
can launch into a whole thing about how her milk is made specifically
for her baby, and formula is trying to imitate breastmilk (and not
very successfully).  Ask her if she has smelled and tasted her milk
and formula, and ask her what she would prefer to drink if she were
the baby, and if she has given formula, what the baby's reaction to
that has been compared with breastfeeding.  Look at the ingredient
labels with her and show her the information that the formula DHA
comes from fermented microalgae, whereas her milk comes from the same
place that made her precious baby -- her own body.

> From: [log in to unmask]
> Date: April 9, 2007 9:52:59 PM EDT
> Subject: Subject: comparison
>

> I am looking for information and sources that show the comparison
> of  =
> breastmilk and artificial milk especially related to DHA and ARA
> being  =
> added to the newer artificial supplements.  Some  of our clients
> are =
> requesting these newer artificial milks and some are beginning to  =
> believe they are just as good as breastmilk so I wanted to have
> data to  =
> illustrate the specific differences.

-----
Lynnette Hafken, MA, Mother of 3, LLLL, IBCLC
http://www.nurslings.com
"Where did we ever get the crazy idea that in order to make children
do better, first we have to make them feel worse? Think of the last
time you felt humiliated or treated unfairly. Did you feel like
cooperating or doing better?"  Jane Nelson