From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2007 13:44:43 -0400
I'm wondering very much whether some of the posters about the credentialling process are
really so disheartened about the profession as a whole.  I think it may really be about the
possibility that our professionality may become diminished by a scope of practice that limits
our professionality.  I think there are many passionate IBCLCs who thought our profession
was exactly that --- a profession in its own right.  I love what I do with mothers.  There is
no question in my mind about that.  I also feel that it is important to maintain professional
standards and go to conferences and constantly try to learn new things from others.  There
again is no question in my mind about that.  And I seriously doubt that many others
question that either.  However, there is a question in my mind when we are handed a scope
of practice that puts hurdles in the place of our ability to practice as a PROFESSION and
actually diminishes our legal capacity to do so.

Best, Susan