From:
Ari Seppälä <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2007 03:58:58 +0200
>   For some, and apparently for the E.U. organic
> beekeepers, it is about the process as much as the product.
> The fact that all those countries, much less all those beekeepers could
>  >come  together in agreement of what will be considered organically
>  >produced honey  is amazing to me as an American rugged >individualist.  A
> lot of comprimising must have been done.

Steve is quite right about  compromising. But it is good to know for
everyone that the rules were not made only by beekeepers. Also consumers and
government officials and representatives from other organic production were
at the work.

Wing clipping has go a lot of attention. I can easily understand why it is
in the rules. Like Steve said many feel it as cruel and unnecessary
mutilation. Not even all beekeepers are willing to do it for this reason
expecially in the hobby sector.

Trevor told about getting normal queens to organic beehives in Australia. EU
rules say organic queens must be prferred, but allow 10 % of queens/ year
to come from normal production. If more then the hives receiving queens are
not organic anymore for one season. Clear comnpromise.

The aim for limiting the animal material is like in the other organic
farming. Organic chickens must in EU be born from organic eggs, also the
same for pigs etc. Even when growing carrots or grass the tiny seeds must
come from organic production  ( can be normal if organic seeds do not exist
on the market) . The idea is to have reliability in the eyes of the
consumers. The whole production chain must be organic to be trusted by
consumers..

I myself am not a true beliver in organic so that I would only use organic
products, but prefer food without residues. And also food produced by
minimum environmental effects. In shop organic lable is the only way to find
easily food like this unless you know more about the producer.

Also in Finland it is very dfficult for many beekeepers to understand the
organic rules because they are not logical when loking only from residues. I
advice them to think the rules as a moral code a bit like religion. I think
it is very good from the marketing point that organic rules also include
things about animal welfare and sustainability.

In Finland about 2,5 % of beekeeping is organic, but the number is coming
up.

Ari Seppälä
Finland