From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Mar 2007 09:07:46 -0400
queenbee wrote:
> Interesting there was a program on Australian television last night
> which quoted a study that showed that, nutritionally, there was no
> difference between organic and non organic food tested.  I believe it
> would be the same for honey.
Same was done for honey with the same result.

Most impartial studies show little difference between organic or
non-organic as far as nutrition, but there is some truth to pesticide
residue being greater on the surface of some non-organic fruits and
veggies, even though it is in ppb. Pesticides were also found on
organic, just there were more incidences of it on non-organic.

You should wash them no matter where they come from. The problem is, if
there is bacterial contamination, you are out of luck unless you cook it.

Interesting that the recent spinach problem came from an organic grower.
The field was not yet certified organic but looked like it was being
primed for that. That technicality has let the organic movement off the
hook for now, but there will be future outbreaks as the amount of
organic produce increases. Can't help it. Just think of what some use
for fertilizer. The US Navy banned purchase of veggies from some Asian
countries back in the 1960s because of their use of "night soil". But
animals other than man can contribute to soil pathogens that can cause harm.

Here is the report on what has been found to date with spinach so you
can judge.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/nation/16963687.htm

I have had personal experience with this problem. An acquaintance grew
their own veggies organically (they wanted only healthy, natural
produce) and their baby picked up a soil born pathogen which disabled
him mentally for life. Could have used pesticides and same would have
happened. I see no cause and effect either way. On these sorts of
incidences, you hear nothing from the organic movement other than a lot
of technicality covering of tails, such as with the spinach scandal.

Truth is, it can happen to the best of people, no matter what their
method. You are not safer or healthier if it says organic on the label.
Only poorer.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine